In 1879, the village of Pine Grove, Pennsylvania had a population of about 300 with a grist mill, a post office, a few stores, a hotel, and a couple of churches. The nearest United Presbyterian churches were Harmony in Harrisville, Scotch Hill and Springfield congregations.
On a suggestion from the Springfield congregation, it was arranged that Rev. W.B. Barr, pastor of that church, hold an occasional service in Pine Grove provided that the local members guaranteed a payment of $100 per year. The spirit of going over the top, for which the Grove City community has been noted in later years, was shown by those early adherents whose subscriptions totaled $154. But money and members were only two of the pioneer troubles. Roads, building, heating and lighting had to be considered. Rev. Barr rode a mule from Pardoe to hold the first meeting on April 6, 1879. A second story room in the Pine Grove School House, [situated where McDonald's Restaurant is now located,] had been secured for the service. Rev. Barr chose for his text, "God's love for His Saints,"
For a full history, please click on the document icon on the right.